Wednesday, September 28, 2011

the unexpected

On Monday I wasn't feeling too hot. I thought I had some major anxiety going on over school so I just shrug it off. As the night went on, around 10 o'clock I really started to notice that the pain was worsening in my upper abdomen. I finally got to sleep around 10:30  and slept for about an hour and a half and woke up in complete pain. I then knew something wasn't right and this wasn't just anxiety. Sweet, Ron called me at 2 o'clock in the A.M. and stressed to me to go to the ER. I refused because I thought I could tough it out through the morning till I could go to instacare around 11 A.M. after I had already been to work for awhile. When I got off the phone with Ron I tried going back to sleep but I just couldn't. I was in complete discomfort no matter what I did. A little bit before 5 A.M. I went up to my mom's room and told her I needed to go to the ER and it cannot wait - the pain was just too much by that point.

I got to the ER a little bit before 6 A.M. I had my make up on because I figured I would be going to work after the ER, I honestly thought I had a stomach ulcer by this point and that they would just give me some meds and I would be on my case. Well, was I completely wrong. I told the doctor my symptoms and he said that it might be several things so it is very important that I get an ultra sound done and some x-rays. As I went into my ultra sound the tech started to push on my abdomen and I honestly lost it. I just started crying because the perssure hurt so bad. As she started to search for something she couldn't find anything. I began to panic because I knew the pain I was in just wasn't right. She asked me to turn onto my left - as I did she then started to search once more... and then I heard... "oh...... there it is! - you have major gallstones." I was scared but happy at the same time. I figured they would give me a medication that would dissolve the stones and give me some pain meds and I would be on my way. As I was wheeled back into the ER my doctor came and said they were just waiting for the results. Moments later the surgeon came in and spoke the words, "you're getting gallbladder surgery today." I was so thrown back. I was not expecting that AT ALL.

About an hour and a half later I was first in line of the 5 others getting surgery. I was happy to be the first because I was so tired from being at the hospital. The overall surgery took a solid 20 minutes - but my mom began to panic because I didn't come out of recovery for an hour and a half. I wouldn't wake up. Finally, my eyes began to open as it then took me another 30 minutes to become competent. Now let me tell you... after my surgery was AWFUL. My reaction to the anesthesia was not good. In fact, it was horrible. I have never felt to nausesated in my life and the pain... oh gosh, the pain was bad.

I was then out of recovery and back with my family. The sweet nurses did their best to take care of me. I was put from the bed onto a chair, which was so painful. As I was sitting there I became overly nauseated and became to vomit (WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN!) I literally felt like my stomach was going to rip apart from the stitches. I was given 4 saltines and some pudding but I just couldn't keep anything down. My vomiting didn't happen once... but three times. Worst thing, ever. Finally around 3 P.M. I was sent home with 4 incisions to the stomach.

That is not how I had planned my Tuesday to go in the slightest bit, but I hope I start feeling better soon (good news is I get a week of work/school off). I have had such amazing friends and family and the best boyfriend out there. I cannot thank them enough for doing the things they have for me. So nice of them to bring me flowers, cards, coloring books, and making me healthy food. They have all been so wonderful and I couldn't ask for better!

No comments:

Post a Comment